Thursday, October 8, 2009

Book review

Julie and Julia is by Julie Powell and is the story of a year of cooking through Mastering the Art of French Cooking. Julie is a New Yorker and decided one day on a whim to cook through Julia Child's famous (and difficult) cookbook in a year, all 500 odd recipes. The result was a blog, which she then turned into this memoir. It is a pretty good read, overall. I enjoyed reading about some of the more interesting recipes, including the one that called for bone marrow, another that involved brains, and one on how to make ladyfingers. What I didn't like was the language in the book. I don't know why she felt compelled to pepper her book with foul language, but she did and it was distracting and offensive. Ignoring it, I was able to still enjoy the story, though in some ways it was a bit pointless. But a fun, fluffy read overall.

No comments: